Apply to the Voluntourist Volunteer Program today!
Somewhere in the world, a child needs your help. A child who needs just two weeks of your time. A child who is eager to learn something you already know. As a volunteer in the IHF Voluntourist Program you will leave your mark on this child’s world, and in turn this child’s world will leave its mark on you.
More than just volunteering and sightseeing
The IHF Voluntourist Program combines the most pointed and effective facets of our mission, with the excitement of tourism to create a stimulating, service-oriented experience.
Volunteers in this program embark on a cultural journey. You will immerse yourself in what it means to live like a local as you see first-hand the different realities of life in an impoverished community.
Volunteers in this program have the opportunity to discover a new country and explore its unseen side, learn about culture first-hand and play a vital role in the local community.
- Requires a minimum commitment of 2 weeks
- Volunteers complete four (4) hours of service tasks a day, five (5) days per week, with two (2) consecutive days off per week to use for tourist activities.
- Service tasks may include any of the following: teaching English to young children, lesson planning, offering life skills or career training for older students, planning cultural activities, assisting with maintenance of the IHF Center and more!
- Costs: Weekly fee of USD $200 per person for on site accommodations and meals at the center.
- Volunteers are not limited to assigned service tasks, we invite you to share your ideas and expertise with us.
- Volunteers report to IHF Center Co-Directors, who will work alongside you and guide you as direct supervisors.
- For the duration of their stay, volunteers live on site at the IHF Center alongside other volunteers in the program.
- Basic accommodation and meals are provided to volunteers at the center.
- Service is priority, but there will still be plenty of time to explore the country and have fun! The other volunteers may be able to give you some personal advice on what to see and do in the area, but ultimately you coordinate the tourist activities you want to engage in.
Benefits to the Community
- You are helping to implement long-term development. Your skills time and energy will leave a mark that will continue to make a difference long after you’re gone. By teaching an English class, you will help to close gaps in the local education systems and empower them to break the cycle of poverty.
- By participating in tourism, you are contributing to the local economy. When you are not on the clock, you are free to take advantage of sightseeing opportunities, like going to the beach or on an island tour. When you shop with, or hire, local vendors you support local businesses in the area.
Benefits to You
- Participate in meaningful service and have a lasting impact on an impoverished community
- Develop new skills or sharpen old skills through service
- Interact with locals and experience a depth of cultural exchange
- Sharpen your cultural intelligence and intercultural communication skills
- Learn to think, respond and quickly adapt to new cultural knowledge and unfamiliar situations
- Explore new places
When you choose to join the IHF Voluntourist Program, you will be joining a global network of IHF volunteers who are living and working with diverse cultures on projects that have a positive impact.